What are Automations | BEGINNER
Quick Base provides three methods to help automate workflow processes in your app:
✓ Automations – Add a record, Update records, Delete records, Copy records, Run a table-to-table import
✓ QB Actions – Add a record, Update records
✓ Webhooks – HTTP message
Automations and QB Actions only work within the confines of Quick Base and have similar functionality, but as you saw listed above, Automations can support more operations compared to QB Actions. Webhooks, are generally used when you need to connect your Quick Base app to a third-party system and is a way for people with API experience to automatically send an HTTP message to a pre-defined endpoint.
More About Automations
Each automation has one trigger and there are two types of triggers:
✓ When data changes
✓ On a schedule
You can choose when to run your automation based upon when data is added, modified, or deleted or you can choose a daily, weekly, or monthly schedule.
An automation can include multiple actions that occur in a specific order. Your trigger sets these actions in motion. An action can add, modify, or delete a record or even run a table-to-table import that you previously created.
For example, lets say you you are a project manager and you have a table in your app called, Projects Table – that keeps tab of all past, current, and future projects. Your trigger might be whenever a team member adds a new project in the Projects Table and your actions within your automations could be adding several default tasks to a Task Table.
EDITORS NOTE: You must have admin-level permissions to an app to be able to view and create automations. For more about automation limits, click here:Automation Limits.
Creating or Editing an Automation
Follow the steps below to add an automation:
- In the App Settings or Table Settings page, Click Automations.
- Click + New Automation from the Automation List page (top right)
- Next, choose a trigger that will start your automation – When data changes or On a schedule.
- Define your trigger (add, modify, or delete a record) and select a table within the app. Once you select a table, the Additional Criteria section will appear below to provide more options to define your trigger before your automation starts.
- Define an action. Click on +Add Action on the left-hand side and choose one of the five options available – Add a record, Modify record(s), Delete record(s), Run a table import, or Copy records.
Copying An Automation
If you want to create a new automation that may use similar triggers or actions, you can easily duplicate an automation by selecting the Copy icon in the Automation List page to create a copy. The copied automation will appear above in the list. Select the copy automation or any automation from the list to rename or edit the automation.
The Automation List page
The Automation List page displays all the automation in your app. Listed below, you can:
✓ Select +New Automation to create a new automation.
✓ Review information about automation runs and errors. Click to view details of each.
✓ Select an automation to edit an existing automation.
✓ Delete an automation.automation.
✓ Disable an automation which will in turn keep it from executing, but can be turned back on at a later time.
To see articles on how automations can be applied in Quick Base, click here: Knowledge Base
- Author: Alex Skudrovskis (email@example.com))
- Date Submitted: 4/3/2019