Are you considering building a web application for your company and need professional advice? These days, web apps are everywhere and you can hardly imagine a successful business that can go without them. In fact, in today’s digital-driven world, you need a web application to survive and stand out in a highly competitive business environment. The market is full of ready to purchase web apps so why would you want to consider custom web development?
In this article, we are going to discuss custom web development, its advantages, and the key stages of the development process. You will find enough information to understand how to calculate the custom web application development cost and to plan your budget. Besides, we will discuss different options of custom web portal development. Keep reading.
Great Advantages of Custom Web Application Development
A web app is a client-server software program that runs in a web browser so there is no need to build a client for a specific type of computer or a specific operating system. A web application can perform a lot of functions and anyone can use it if they have internet access. Over the last years, web apps have become an essential component of any business. Web-based apps have a lot of advantages over the desktop versions because they allow to achieve a greater level of operability by modifying them according to the needs of the market.
Web applications are important for businesses for a number of reasons.
- They can help you complete routine tasks quicker and make them simpler.
- They allow your team members to collaborate and share information across a secure channel.
- They increase interaction between businesses and customers.
- They allow to reduce expenses on employees.
- They enhance overall performance and make business more successful.
Usually, companies can choose from 2 options:
- purchase an available off-the-shelf system that can be implemented quickly
- build a custom solution that is tailored to the specific needs of their business
So which option should you choose for your business – a custom-built web app or an off-the-shelf solution?
Have a project in mind? Let’s discuss it!
Off-the-shelf Web Apps vs Custom Web Apps
Commercial off-the-shelf web apps have their own set of benefits:
- Off-the-shelf apps come pre-built and fully functional.
- They are comparatively cheaper because the cost of app development is distributed among a large number of buyers.
- They are tried and tested and you don’t have to worry about deployment, testing, and quality assurance processes because they are handled by the vendors.
But there are disadvantages as well. Off-the-shelf web apps are built to meet the needs of many businesses. But what if your business needs are more specific? Chances are that off-the-shelf apps may have a lot of functions that are not relevant to your business and you will have to pay for functionality you will never use. On the other hand, off-the-shelf web apps may not match exactly your business processes and miss some necessary functionality. Besides, you may experience problems with their integration with other off-the-shelf solutions.
With custom web application development, your application will be built according to your specific business operations. If you consider the total cost of ownership, custom-built web applications are not as expensive as you may think. Besides, they have significant advantages over off-the-shelf solutions – especially when it comes to the management of business processes and digital transformation of your business. That’s why custom web app development can be a better option because it will give your company a unique competitive advantage over other businesses.
Still not convinced? Let’s take a look at the key benefits of custom web apps that can boost your business growth.
5 Important Reasons to Choose Custom Web Application Solutions
- Bespoke web apps are built exclusively to meet your business needs so your app will deliver only the necessary features. It will be easier for your team to navigate it and they will work more productively.
- Custom web apps are easily scalable so you will be able to add new features as your business grows and won’t have to worry about costly license purchases.
- Custom web apps are safe and secure because being a less attractive target, they are less likely to be hacked than out-of-the-box solutions.
- A custom web app can save you a lot of money over the time because you will own your application and won’t have to pay for licensing packages.
- Custom web apps can be created with your other preferred business software in mind so they can easily integrate with it and ensure higher efficiency.
As you see, custom-built web application solutions are better for your business in the long run.
What Factors Influence Custom Web Application Development Cost?
Wondering how much it may cost to build a custom web application for your business? A web app development cost can include a lot of variables because each project is unique and requires a variety of approaches and tools. It is difficult to determine the exact price but we will provide you with all the necessary information about the key components that go into the price so that you can calculate the cost and estimate your budget for custom web application development.
But first, let’s discuss the basic steps of the web application development as we do it at Quandary CG to help you get a better understanding of the value of these activities.
Stages of Development Process
Typically, there are 5 stages in creating a web application.
- Gathering requirements and making an analysis. At this stage, our business analysts discuss with our clients their business goals and preferable features of the future applications and make a list of requirements. A prototype and wireframes are built and the documentation is prepared.
- Designers create the application interface and design visual elements to make it user-friendly and appealing.
- It includes back-end development (writing code and filling an app with functionality) and front-end development (creating a public part of an app for users).
- Testing. QA engineers perform manual and automated functional, UI/UX, and other tests to ensure that your app will work just as you need it.
- Launch. The team performs the load testing, prepares domain and server, and conducts a final testing of the system before it is launched.
5 Key Factors That Influence the Cost of Custom App Development
The cost of your web app development project depends on several factors:
- the scope of work – a set of specific features you need in your web app or the amount of work required to create that functionality
- business niche – if your business works in a specific niche, it will take more time to develop a web app for you and the price for your project will be higher
- the technical complexity of your project – typical features are not very expensive but technically complex third-party API integrations can increase the cost of development
- UI/UX design – fully custom designs are expensive but you may choose a cheaper alternative such as pre-built templates and themes
- urgency – tight deadlines mean higher costs
Want to know more? Get in touch!
How Much Does Custom Web Application Development Cost?
In the long run, the cost of a custom web application is determined by 2 major components:
- Upfront development costs – the costs of initial development and testing which we have already discussed
- Total cost of ownership includes the costs of data migration, maintenance and support, enhancement (adding extra functionality as your business grows), and retirement costs – if you decide to retire your app as your business grows and technology landscape evolves, you will need to spend money on exporting your data and archiving your systems.
Keep in mind that the less you pay upfront, the more you will need to pay later for maintaining, operating, and scaling your web application. It’s important to consider both aspects and determine how they affect your ROI.
Everything You Need to Know about Custom Web Portal Development
People often get confused thinking that a website and a web portal are the same things. So before we speak about different types of web portals, let’s define what exactly a web portal is. A web portal is a web-based platform that brings information from diverse sources into a single user interface and serves as a single point of access for that information. It’s like a library of categorized and personalized content. Web portals offer such prominent features as security, data access, search navigation, personal content, collaboration, task management, and often, application integration and business intelligence.
Why Do You Need a Web Portal for Your Company?
A web portal can transform the way your customers, employees, and suppliers interact with your business and can provide your company with improved productivity and significant cost savings. It can provide you with a better control of your business processes. Besides, a web portal can help you establish a long-lasting relationship with customers and partners.
There are 2 types of web portals that can help you shape the way your company operates.
Vertical web portals focus on specific content, objects, and business functions, for example, ERP, CRM, service management, accounting and finance, warehouse management, HR. Users can view data, edit it or contribute to certain processes.
Horizontal web portals target large communities of users and allow them to see data from multiple applications. With horizontal web portals, users don’t need to login to multiple separate applications to view data and that significantly improves their productivity and performance. A typical example of a horizontal web portal is a reporting system that presents information about the Key Performance Indicators from multiple business systems. Users can view the data and generate reports.
Custom Web Portals We produce
At Quandary CG, we specialize in custom web portal development and our affordable solutions can fit any budget. We offer rich industry experience and cutting-edge technologies and can build different types of custom web portals for your organization. We offer a full-cycle web portal development and our experts can implement your great ideas into robust custom web portal solutions.
B2B Customer Portals can streamline the trade process, ensure secure transactions, and reduce operational costs. They include powerful tools for all members of a customer buying center. They can place and track orders, check invoices and payments, view reports, access your guides etc.
B2C Customer Portals can help you establish long-term relationships with customers and offer them a wide range of functions such as advanced order placement, secure payment options, order management, reporting and statistics, purchase history etc.
Vendor Portals are collaborative platforms for exchanging real-time information directly with your vendors. With a vendor portal tailored to your specific business goals, you can make your business processes more transparent, automate interactions with your suppliers, and gain from saving time and effort.
Partner Portals can help you gain competitive advantage and boost sales if you engage users. You will be able to directly exchange information with your partner’s personnel and influence their buying decisions by providing different tools and information resources. Our custom partner portals can offer rich functionality to enhance your communication – calculators, configurators, metrics, customization tools, order status checking, and more.
Learning Portals offer great benefits for governmental and private educational organizations. We can develop custom learning portals with extensive functionality packed in responsive design to ensure the true learning experience for its users, no matter whether they are business or individual learners.
Custom web development is just what you need if you want to get the most from your software but it’s very important to choose the right developer. Quandary team is extensively experienced in building custom web applications for different business needs across a wide variety of industries using Quick Base. It’s a universal platform for the development of customizable applications that can fit many unique business needs and solve a broad variety of business challenges. Quandary experts can develop custom apps for your company in a rather short time-frame. If you are considering custom web application development for your business, schedule a free consultation to learn how we can help you automate your business processes and make them more efficient.